The Peace River Forage Seeding Interactive Database (FOR-SiD) is a digital manual with information on agronomic and native grasses and legumes commonly used for pasture, hay, range, and revegetation seeding projects. It provides:
- species descriptions including important adaptive characteristics
- suitabilty ratings for specific seeding objectives.
- information on seeding methods
- connects users with resource information maps and research studies.
There are several ways for you to use the Database.
- Browse - Species summary are tables that have filters and are sortable. These browse tables are a good way to compare species and to print out comparison tables.
- Search - The Database has a powerful search functionality where you can enter in text and then filter the results. This is a good way to find a specific species or species indicated for a specific site or soil conditions.
- Species Options Tool - that leads you through the following questions: Where is the site? What are the site characteristics? What is your seeding objective? SOE outputs a table of seed species (and/or variety) options that you can further refine and then print out.
- Seed Mix Calculator - to help compare seeding rates and mixtures. Here you start with a subset of species and CALC provides seed mix percentages based on seed weight or seed number. It returns seeding rate results in different units including lbs per acre, kilograms per hectare, seeds per square meter, and seeds per square foot.